Volunteer for the Great Rivers Group!
Volunteer Interest Survey
Share your volunteer interests and availability with us!+ Complete Our Volunteer Interest Survey Here!
We need your help to do the local environmental work that is so important to all of us. Please share your outings, conservation and volunteer interests with us by completing our Volunteer Interest Survey.
The information will help us network our experienced volunteers with friends and members who have interest in the same area of expertise and want to be more involved.
Thank you for helping us continue to grow in our capacity to nurture, protect, and otherwise be faithful stewards of Kentucky's environment.
Volunteer Help Wanted
Program CoordinatorWe need someone to help us coordinate a program series for our monthly General Membership meetings. This would involve finding and scheduling speakers for our monthly meetings that will address a variety of issues and interests.
Our programs cover a wide range of topics related to the environment and our Sierra Club mission to "explore, enjoy, and protect the planet."
To volunteer, please contact: Great Rivers Group Vice-Chair
Volunteer CoordinatorWe need someone to help us recruit and organize volunteers for activities and events.
To volunteer, please contact: Great Rivers Group Chair
Outing LeadersIn order to offer a diverse program of safe and enjoyable outing activities, Sierra Club depends on the voluntary services of trained, Sierra Club Outings Leaders. We are always looking for more outing leaders to help us grow our outing activities - both in number and type of outing.
If you would be interested in becoming a Sierra Club Outing Leader, let us know and we'll get you started on the Sierra Club's Outing Leader Training program.
Contact our Great Rivers Group Outings Chair to find out more, or to get started with the training.
Volunteer Leaders Needed
Appointed LeadersOur Group is in need of the following leadership positions. These are formal Sierra Club leadership roles, and require current membership status in the Sierra Club. If you would be interested in volunteering for one of these positions, but are not currently a Sierra Club member - it is easy to Join Sierra Club online!
These positions are appointed by the Great Rivers Group Chair and ratified by the Group ExCom.
To volunteer, or for questions about the following open positions, please contact our Group Chair
+ Group Membership Chair
Purpose of Position
The Member Engagement Chair, who enjoys meeting people and going to social events, meets and welcomes new members and volunteers for the Group. The Chair works with all sections of the Group to help provide people necessary to achieve the Group’s goals. The Chair ensures that people are welcomed and engaged in a way that is satisfying and furthers the Group’s mission.
- Creates a monthly planning calendar for member engagement activities working with the Group Chair and ExCom.
- Recruits 1-5 people to work on your Member Engagement Team (“Team”). Familiarizes each team member on their activities and delegates authority to each to perform their functions.
- Administration (or delegate to Administrator on Team): Be the contact for member inquiries and responses; order all membership materials from National through Clubhouse; receives the monthly Group change reports and sends welcome letters to new members; identifies and personally contacts select volunteers by phone; tracks attendance at new member events and at monthly “activity” or “program" meetings.
- Recruits new members and volunteers(or delegate to Recruiter on Team): recruits new members and volunteers through Chapter and/or Group newsletter, on the web using LinkShare, tabling events, outings, etc.; sends out, or places in newsletter, volunteer survey and forward volunteer information on to the various sections in Group; makes presentations at Group meetings asking for volunteers.
- Member Engagement activities(or delegate to Events Coordinator on Team): Finds someone to create one or more monthly “activities” or “programs” that revolve around an issue of interest to them or the Group.(ex. Like travelogue, a book club, restaurant club, etc.) Tracks the progress of these member engagement activities. Hold a new member welcome party each quarter.
- Publicity/Recruitment activities(or delegate to Publicity on Team): places invitations to member engagement activities in Chapter and/or Group newsletter and website; puts posters up in local outdoor and other appropriate stores to announce events; puts article in newsletter about member/volunteer events/parties; puts photos/article in local newspaper for larger events for the public; arranges for someone to do a summer series of tabling events; puts scheduled events in the local community calendar of events or pitch to local media for larger public events.
- Volunteer Coordination (need to delegate to Volunteer Coordinator on Team): Involve wider number of members and community support for the 1-2 new “activities” or programs created in #5 above. Keeps records of who came to volunteer and engagement events; manage correspondence and schedule;, creates volunteer awards and recognition program. Creates a program for the retention and upgrade of volunteer commitment.
- Develops and maintains historical data and procedures for member engagement programs for future planning and future member engagement chairs.
- Before leaving office, train your replacement and pass along all plans, results, and materials to your replacement.+ Group Fundraising Chair
Purpose of Position
To work with the Group executive committee to develop and implement an annual Group fundraising program, based on the annual conservation and other goals and on records from previous years.
- Creates a monthly planning calendar for Fundraising events and activities working with the Group Chair and ExCom.
- Recruits 3-5 people to work on Fundraising Team (“Team”). Familiarizes each team member on their activities and delegate authority to each to perform their functions. Coordinates with Publicity and the Volunteer Coordinator on Member Engagement Team when needed.
- Administration (or delegate to Administration on Team): Be the contact for member inquiries and responses regarding fundraising activities and events; orders all the necessary printed materials for fundraising; orders lists and labels from the Labels desk at National for mailings, events and activities for fundraising; sends invitations and letters when needed; schedules and places fundraising donation ads, event ads, planned giving ads, merchandise sales ads (from AdKit) into the regular Chapter and/or Group newsletter; schedules Fundraising Team meetings for Fundraising Chair.
- Merchandise Sales (or delegate to Merchandise Sales Manager on Team): Sets up sales network to sell a variety of Sierra Club products, directly to members and non-members, such as calendars, boxed holiday and notecards, coffee, and other merchandise located at http://clubhouse.sierraclub.org/membership/ Works with Administration on the Team to place sales ads in newsletter; works with Member Engagement Team Recruiter to coordinate on tabling events, monthly meetings, and other selling opportunities. Makes presentations to local businesses use these Sierra Club items as holiday gifts or to use the Sierra Club holiday cards as their company’s holiday cards.
- Fundraising Events Coordinator (or delegate to Events Coordinator on Team): Finds someone to create one or two fundraising events, that are/if manageable for your Group size and budget, that can be held annually. Create a budget, volunteer needs, timelines; negotiate event space, catering, auction items or performers, etc. Manages all aspects of these events including the financial reporting. Tracks the progress of these Fundraising activities. Coordinates efforts with Member Engagement Team Events Coordinator.
- Develops and maintains historical data and procedures for fundraising programs for future planning and future Fundraising chairs.
- Before leaving office, train your replacement and pass along all plans, results, and materials to your replacement.