8 ways you can help us have a positive impact on Kentucky legislation:
- Get to know your own state representative and senator: To look up your state representative and/or senator on the Web, go to Vote Smart and enter you 9-digit zip code. You can also contact your county clerk's office to get this information. Legislators' Email and other contact information can be found on the website of the Kentucky Legislative Research Commission
- Volunteer: Contact our Chapter Legislative Committee, or the Legislative Chair of your local Sierra Club Group and volunteer to help.
- Take action on our legislative alerts, by Email, Phone, and personal visits when you can.
It is easy to contact your legislator, and it does make a difference. There are several ways you can do this:
- Phone: the Legislator Message Line (1-800-372-7181) will put you in touch with an operator who will write down a message for you, no questions asked. Call 8:00 AM to 11:00 PM.
- Fax: You can send a fax to the Legislator Fax Line (502-564-6543). It can be sent to multiple legislators, but you must list all names individually.
- Email: E-addresses can be found on the Legislative Research Commission Website.
- Snail Mail: Regular mail can be sent to: The Capitol Annex, Frankfort, KY 40601.
What do I say? Your message can be as simple as "Please support bill xyz." You don't have to be an expert.
- Help us publicize: Watch for our legislative action alerts and help publicize them through your Facebook, Twitter, blogs, and other social networking accounts.
- Join our KY Sierra Club Facebook Group and follow our KY Sierra Club Facebook Page if you haven't already!
- Follow the Kentucky Sierra Club Twitter Feed.
- Join Sierra Club: If you're not already a Sierra Club member, please join on-line - membership in the Club helps us to accomplish our work in several ways. And there are many benefits to being a Sierra Club member.
- Join the Kentucky Conservation Committee (KCC): The Kentucky Sierra Club works closely with KCC (we have some members on the board) to make sound environmental stewardship a priority for elected officials and voters. Their legislative agent helps us make our voice heard in Frankfort on issues that we care about.